A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.
Friedrich Nietzsche didn’t just have an epic moustache, he had more than a few good tips for writers. As critical-theory.com outlined, here are Nietzsche’s top ten rules for writers:
1. Of prime necessity is life: a style should live.
2. Style should be suited to the specific person with whom you wish to communicate. (The law of mutual relation.)
3. First, one must determine precisely “what-and-what do I wish to say and present,” before you may write. Writing must be mimicry.
4. Since the writer lacks many of the speaker’s means, he must in general have for his model a very expressive kind of presentation of necessity, the written copy will appear much paler.
5. The richness of life reveals itself through a richness of gestures. One must learn to feel everything — the length and retarding of sentences, interpunctuations, the choice of words, the pausing, the sequence of arguments — like gestures.
6. Be careful with periods! Only those people who also have long duration of breath while speaking are entitled to periods. With most people, the period is a matter of affectation.
7. Style ought to prove that one believes in an idea; not only that one thinks it but also feels it.
8. The more abstract a truth which one wishes to teach, the more one must first entice the senses.
9. Strategy on the part of the good writer of prose consists of choosing his means for stepping close to poetry but never stepping into it.
10. It is not good manners or clever to deprive one’s reader of the most obvious objections. It is very good manners and very clever to leave it to one’s reader alone to pronounce the ultimate quintessence of our wisdom.
Jeff Bridges did an AMA at reddit..com And it was awesome. He explained how his fans wanted him to run for governer, but that his wife shot the idea down. I think I speak for everyone when I say: Lebowski for Governor.
A writer needs three things, experience, observation, and imagination, any two of which, at times any one of which, can supply the lack of the others.
This is an oldie, but a goodie. Really want to see this crossover happen. Maybe in a different dimension of our universe this show actually existed. Now, just how do I go about creating a wormhole to get there….
Artwork by one of my students, Jung Jisu, that I couldn’t let pass without a photo.
Shut up and get on with it.
Stumbled upon this amazing short video the other day. It’s a fantasy, Matrix-esque short film created entirely by one person. Reminds me of a goth Final Fantasy. Absolutely amazing textures and visuals.
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.